Friday, April 1, 2016

March 5, 2016

One Day til Halfway

I leave the 28th of March, so tomorrow is officially the halfway mark! Things have been going really well here. The time is flying, probably due to the fact that more of our study time is spent teaching or learning from great teachers instead of just trying to study on our own. I forgot to bring my journal to the computer lab, so I'm not sure how much I'm gonna be able to remember from this week.. 

The highlight of the week was probably hosting because we got to spend a couple hours out in the sun meeting the newbies and both Tim and another guy that I know from my home stake, Elder Nielson, came in this week. I was trying to wait for Tim to show up, but they got directed to the other drop off zone, so I ended up just hosting for Elder Nielsen, which was pretty cool because I could talk with someone I know and let him know what to expect for the MTC. Turns out his classroom is just down the hall from mine, so I'll probably see him a fair amount. Or at least that's what I thought, but I've been seeing Tim way more frequently. Probably due to the fact that my district is always on the lookout for my super tall cousin. Another cool thing that happened this week is we moved buildings on thursday because they needed to do some renovation on our old building. We were really annoyed about it at first because the AC in our new room doesn't work, the building smells weird and there are only 10 showers (the old building had twice as many) for the whole first floor! It turned out being cool though because Tim is staying in the same building just down the hall from the new room we moved in to, so we can hangout and chat pretty much every day. 

As far as missionary stuff goes, this week we've been teaching a guy from the Dominican Republic named Elias Sanchez for our TRC. He's a super cool guy and the lessons have been going really well. Some of the TRC investigators are real investigators and some are members volunteering to play the role of an investigator. We are pretty sure that Elias is the latter because we saw the Gospel library app on his phone. He was really fun to teach though, because he asked good questions and was super light hearted and constantly joking around. He agreed to come to church with us tomorrow, so we'll see if he shows up. We learned that we are getting assigned a new TRC investigator next week, so we are super bummed about not being able to teach Elias anymore. We are also teaching Paula, who is being role played by our teacher Hermana Vargas. It is a little difficult to look at our Teacher as an investigator, but she is role playing one of her best friends who is an atheist and has a lot of interesting questions, so I am enjoying our lessons with her. It's also really nice to get feedback from her on our lessons. We taught her last night and gave her our best lesson so far. She said our tripanionship has a really good combination of skills. She said I was really good at explaining things and applying it to the investigator or helping it makes sense to the investigator (probably because I've been surrounded by nonmormons my whole life so I'm used to how they think about the church and what questions they have), she said Elder Pace is really good at declaring doctrine and is not ashamed to say it boldly, and Elder Nelson (who's spanish isn't very good right now) is the best at helping her feel the spirit because even though he has a hard time finding the words, she can tell he has a lot to say and is speaking from the heart. Now that we know what our strengths are it'll be easier to work together and utilize those different skills.



That's about it I think. I guess another thing I should mention is our other teacher Hermano Clark has played a big role in my enjoying my time here and class time going quickly. He is a great teacher and I always get a ton out of his lessons and enjoy learning both spanish and doctrine from him. We've had some really interesting discussions with him and he's completely open to discuss any of my doctrinal questions. Ok I think that's all i've got for this week. Talk to you all later!




Elder Hamson


Well at least in my head tomorrow was the half way point... I just did the math though and we're not quite there . Dangit. Oh well here are some pictures from the week. The picture with us in the classroom is our whole district (Hermana Vargas our teacher is the short mexican lady in the center). The Picture with that huge mass of people at the temple is our zone. Also sometimes I use study time for things other than studying. Aka trying to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment