Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Finishing Strong!

Happy Halloween everyone!  I spent my halloween going to managua for our monthly leaders meeting woohoo. It was a good meeting though so I'm not to put out.  We did carve a watermelon with the zone though on the 30th because they don't have pumkins here haha. Sounds like everyone had a bunch of fun celebrating back home though. Here people have heard of halloween but not many people really understand the concept. I think it would be an excelent holiday to introduce here because their equivalent of halloween is La Gritería where everyone goes door to door singing to peoples Mary statues and collecting treats... every year members of the church, especially ones with kids ask us if they are "allowed to go". We might just have to mention to the stake president to start up trunk or treating as a stake activity to satisfies the kids needs for candy. Problem is the lack of trunks.... it may have to be modified a little haha. Apart from Halloween the other problem with the holiday season here is that thanksgiving doesn't exist so there is nothing keeping people from getting all decked out for christmas already. I do love christmas, but it is more special when it is the focus of just one month i think. 

Things have been really great here these last few weeks and this past weekend was the end of another transfer! Unbelievable how quickly they fly by! I was surprised by the new assignment i got this transfer because it is not very common, although not unheard of. President asked me to train a brand new missionary while remaining zone leader here in Chinandega. So I am now separated from the other zone leader who is with a different companion. We still live in the same house so it shouldn't be too difficult to still coordinate all of the zone plans and activities together, but it will certainly mean a lot more work! Looks like president wants me to finish strong, with my hands full of responsibilities. Should be a good opportunity though especially since I'll be jumping right back into school when i get back and should be able to keep up the busy schedule. My hijo (new Comp) is named Elder Mendoza and he is from Guatemala, same as my last comp. Should be a fun last two months. We visited Raúl yesterday after coming back from managua and had an awesome lesson about the role of the holy ghost and he shared with us a recent experience he had where he felt god was guiding him. Raúl could be an awesome missionary! He is looking to be all set for his baptism this Saturday

In other news I got to try Mondogo for the first time which is a really common soup here made of cow stomach. I hadn't tried it before because it sounds disgusting, but i figured I may as well try it and pluss the Mejia family was offering and i trust them to cook things well and idk, not buy the cow stomach from the street market for example. It wasn't terrible all things considered, but i don't have any plans to eat it ever again. The Flavor isn't great and the chunks of cow stomach are texture wise just a little too much. Oh well it's still always interesting to try new things. Alright that sabout all i have for now. I hope everything is good back home! Talk to you all soon! 

Love Elder HAmson

Photos: 1. Watermelon Jock o Lantern. 2. Jorfran (Raúl's little brother) with his kill for the day: 5 doves  and a garrobo. All kids here have little slingshots and go out hunting for birds and lizards. 
3. Sopa de Mondongo 4. My new comp!










No comments:

Post a Comment